Collection: PART 1

PLASTIC

PLASTIC

PRIMARY RESEARCH

PROPERTIES

LIGHTWEIGHT

MAN-MADE

VARIES IN DENSITY AND SIZ

CAN BE COLOURED TRANSPARENT TRANSLUCENT OPAQUE MATT SHINY

MALLEABLE

LOW MELTING POINT 

NON CONDUCTOR OF HEAT AND ELECTRICITY 

WATERPROOF 

VERSATILE

CHEAP AND COMMON 

TOXIC SUBSTANCE

Observing translucency and texture of plastic in window.

FUNCTIONS

CONTAINERS

ELECTRONICS

CLOTHING: SYNTHETIC FABRICS

ARCHITECTURE

TRANSPORT 

JEWELLERY/DECORATION 

FURNITURE

Observing different textures and colours of plastic. Uses include packaging and electronics.

ASSOCIATIONS

CHILDREN (SAFETY/TOYS)

MANUFACTURING

BASICS - ESSENTIAL FURNITURE OR PACKAGING

EXCESS

ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES

OIL

POLITICAL DEBATES REGARDING REDUCING USE OF MATERIAL

From library. Plastic can be coloured and structured to add light and to crete a shimmering effect.

From library. Plastic can be structured and formed into shapes such as circles, and repeated in patterns.

From library. Plastic can be reflective.

PRACTITIONER:

MATTHEW BARNEY

Interested in the flesh and the grotesque. Abstraction of the body makes it seem more gross and compelling. May explore flesh in this outcome if I can link it with plastic but having difficulties doing so without going into prosthetics. My ideas with this seem elementary.

Drawn to Barney's portraits and the colours of his films. Blues especially and muted colours are something I think I will incorporate. 

Very interesting in his surrealism as well. He places the grotesque in a seemingly normal atmosphere, making it all the more strange. 

I want to incorporate landscapes in my piece - possibly placing it in a location that is very significant to the concept?

Also interesting in exploring concept of violence, though in perhaps a less explicit way than covering things in blood. Maybe use idea of hidden oppression?

SECONDARY RESEARCH

Decorative but also functional - as a record. Love the colours and may incorporate this colour scheme into my final outcome.

Different types of density and different melting points - both glue and gun are made of plastic of differing melting points. Combined can create useful tools.

PROCESS:

SHARPEN

It was extremely difficult to find any books that explored the process of sharpening in a way that was not just about pencil. Thus, I did a little internet research, but the idea that comes to mind is the physicality of something that is sharpened - spikes and pointed. I think I will explore this in my final outcome as opposed to the actual industrial methods.

Electric knife sharpener. Source: WIKIPEDIA

Revolving saw set. Sharpens saws. Source: WIKIPEDIA

Sharpening jig. Sharpens chisels among other blades. Source: WIKIPEDIA

Can be used to create jewellery and trinkets - reminds me of plastic Virgin Mary figurines. Something I am very interested in aesthetically and conceptually. Want to maybe explore religion for final piece.

Plastic can be used to create larger pieces too. Want to play with size in my piece. 

Gareth Pugh a/w14

Synthetic fabrics can either be made of plastic fibres or have a plastic covering on them. 

Plastic is a material consisting of any of a wide range of synthetic or semi-synthetic organic compounds that are malleable and can be molded into solid objects. Plastics are typically organic polymers of high molecular mass, but they often contain other substances. They are usually synthetic, most commonly derived from petrochemicals, but many are partially natural.

Plasticity is the general property of all materials that are able to irreversibly deform without breaking, but this occurs to such a degree with this class of moldable polymers that their name is an emphasis on this ability.

Due to their relatively low cost, ease of manufacture, versatility, and imperviousness to water, plastics are used in an enormous and expanding range of products, from paper clips to spaceships. They have already displaced many traditional materials, such as woodstonehorn and boneleatherpapermetalglass, and ceramic, in most of their former uses. In developed countries, about a third of plastic is used in packaging and another third in buildings such as piping used in plumbing or vinyl siding. Other uses include automobiles (up to 20% plastic), furniture, and toys.

Source: WIKIPEDIA

Fields marked by '*' are required.